ALERT!!! SPOILERS BELOW!!!

This blog's main goal is to inform comic book fans who can no longer keep up with the weekly grind about what's going on in the comic book world and to rate the books I read so the occasional buyer can know if they are worth buying. If you read these reviews, you will find out what happens in the storyline. If you just want to see what I thought of the book, just skim down and see how many stars I give each book.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

New Comix - Week of 7/20/11

Welcome back! It was a pretty light comic-buying week compared to last week, but then, I usually only buy 2-3 issues on average. Comics are so expensive these days, I'm very choosy on what I decide to buy. If a series goes a direction I don't like, i drop it pretty fast. Now let's get to the reviews!


Green Lantern Aftermath #1
This is the followup to the Green Lantern Wars that saw the rogue Guardian, Krona, killed by Hal Jordan and the GL Corps in disarray after having been controlled by Krona and made to kill in his name. Hal has been banished back to Earth. The lanterns are on the verge of all quitting, as they feel that the Guardians cannot even "guard" them from one of their own. The Guardians are terrified because a Green Lantern should not have been able to kill a Guardian with a power ring, and yet that has happened. Now they feel like vulnerable and afraid of their own soldiers. Worst of all, a green power ring selected Sinestro as a GL during the last battle and he is unable to take it off and the Guardians are considering letting him keep it. Pretty much no one is happy here.

My take: Though the story is a real downer right now and the art was pretty sub-par, I enjoyed reading about the different Lanterns and how the GL War effected them. This is a similar story to what's going on at Marvel with the Ultimate Fallout, only this doesn't seem as forced. I actually enjoyed reading this issue and will go ahead and get the next one to see where they're going. It's been hinted that my favorite GL, Kyle Rayner, will be traveling "in new company" soon, so I'm anxious to see what that means. If he leaves the Green Lanterns, I'll probably follow him to whatever book he goes to next.

- Pick of the Week!


Ultimate Fallout #2
This issue was a little better than last week's issue #1, but not a whole lot better. Aunt May takes her frustration out on Captain America and slaps his face at Peter's funeral, which was actually deserved, if you new the whole story. The bright spot in the story, for me, was the Thor section drawn by the always-incredible Bryan Hitch. Thor daydreams during the funeral and sees himself in Asgard and while thinking of the viking version of Heaven, sees all the main fallen heroes of the Ultimate Universe enjoying an eternal feast in Valhalla, including: Cyclops, Wolverine, Jean Grey, Giant Man, and Spider-Man. That was fun to see.

Overall, though this is a book I could have lived without. I'm only torn because I know this 6-issue series will setup the return of the Ultimate Universe in September and I'm curious who the next Spider-Man will be. I don't know if it will be worth buying 4 lackluster issues though.





Rocketeer Adventures #3
This is a very fun series staring the pulp-era hero, The Rocketeer. These comics are a collection of short stories written and illustrated by various creative teams. While the art in this series has been spectacular, this issue was not so great in the art department. That being said, the stories are fun, standalone adventures and are worth a read if you don't have a lot of other comics to buy when it comes out.


No comments:

Post a Comment